On 16 October 2014, Indonesia implemented a new Copyright Law which is replaced the Law No. 19 of Year 2002 Regarding Copyright.
Based on the new Copyright Law No. 28 of Year 2014, the protection term
of copyright is divided based on Moral Rights and Economical Rights.
Moral Rights that valid without time limit (Article 57 Verse (1) Law No. 28 of Year 2014) for the Author to:
1. Attach or not attach his name on the copy in
relation to the use of his creation for public;
2. Use his alias or his disguise;
3. Defend his right in the event of creation distortion,
creation mutilation, creation modification, or any matter which
is harming his honor or his reputation.
Moral Rights of the Author to:
1. Change his creation in accordance with public order; and
2. Change the title and sub-title of
is valid for as long as the protection term of copyright of the relevant work (Article 57 Verse (2) Law No. 28 of Year 2014).
Economical Rights of Work
Copyright protection is valid for as
long as the author live and keep valid for the next 70 years after the
author is pass away, measured from the date of January 1st of next year
(Article 58 Verse (1) Law No. 28 of Year 2014).
However, if the copyright is owned by a legal entity, then term of protection is 50 years from the first promulgation.
The protection term which is
regulated in Article 58 (Term of Protection of 70 years after the
author has passed away) is valid for the following work only:
* a. Book, pamphlet, and all
other written works;
* b. Sermons, lectures, addresses
and other works of utterance;
* c. Visual aid made for
educational and scientific purposes;
* d. Song or music with or without lyrics;
* e. Dramas, musical dramas, the
dance, choreography, puppetry and pantomime;
* f. All forms of fine arts such
as paintings, pictures, engravings, calligraphies,
sculptures, statues or collages;
* g. Architectural work;
* h. Maps; and
* i. Batik arts or other motif arts.
And the protection term lasts for 50
years from the first promulgation (Article 59 Verse (1) Law No. 28 of
Year 2014) is valid for the works in the form of:
* a. Photographical works
* b. Portrait
* c. Cinematographical works
* d. Video games;
* e. Computer programs;
* f. Cover of written works.
* g. Translation, interpretations, transcriptions, anthologies, databases,
modifications, and other transformational
* h. Translations, adaptations,
arrangements, transformations or
traditional culture expression;
* i. Compilation of works or
data, in the format
that is readable by computer
program or other media;
* j. Compilation of traditional
culture expression as long as the said compilation is
The copyright protection term for the works of applied arts, lasts for
25 years from the first promulgation (Article 59 Verse (2) Law No. 28
of Year 2014).
For further information regarding Copyright, please contact us